If blogspot had mood icons like half a dozen other social networking and blogging sites, I'd be lsited as 'silly'. Which, people, is infinitely better than the alternative. Actually, what IS the opposite of silly? Um... moving on.
I submitted a story to our school's literary and artistic journal last night, precisely ten minutes before the midnight deadline. Cinderella, anyone? Now it remains to be seen if I can land the prince. ;-)
And at the risk of sounding like I'm accepting an award, I really couldn't have finished writing my piece without Annaliese. Thank you, princess.
Apparently I find out in mid-November whether my little story is considered good enough to grace the pages of Parnassus. *grins* I'm just happy that I had the courage to submit something. Being published would just be a plus. And there's the added benefit of assuaging my muse. She's been especially pushy lately.
So, the topic I picked to blog about today was something straight out of expository writing he-, I mean, something that's been done a bajillion times. It was 'make a how to list'. Which is so booooring *yawn* that I thought I'd inject a fake british accent and some creativity into it.
And so I present.
'The Fine Art of Reading a Book'
If you're crude and uncouth, both very good words with not so nice meanings, you will immediately be presented with a quandary (read: a state of perplexity or uncertainty, esp. as to what to do; dilemma. ). Isn't reading a book, aside from being a detestable sport, as easy as cracking the spine and reading the printed words?
Well, If you've got no class, certainly that's what it means. Literary socialites do not reccomend this, however. Listed below are the essentials to reading a book.
1) You need a good book. Contrary to what the extremely delightful and lovely Jennifer Blair believes, there is such thing as a good book. Matter of fact many such books do exist. Whether your genre is sci-fi or biography, historical fiction or romance, you CAN find a good book. And if you need help I'm an accomplished consultant. Unless you like chick lit. There, I can't help you. Said book can be an old friend or a new story waiting to be told. Whatever your pleasure.
Note that your book does not have to be 'intellectual' by any means. No one's going to point and laugh if you read Gregory or Patterson instead of Marx or Tolstoy.
2) You need a spot. Or a spot remover. Ha, ha.... sorry. Ahem. Now, while some people can plop down just anywhere, from train to classroom, bathroom to bedroom, there are some places that are just prime reading nooks. You have to know you and what you like. I prefer porches, especially with love seat-esque couches that I can sprawl across in one of three favorite poses. Under a tree is nice... as is stretched out on my grandparent's amazing feather bed. Somewhere with natural light is best. The possiblities are nearly endless. I say nearly because I don't reccomend reading at a football game. You WILL be hurt and may lose your book. *grumbles*
3) You need a snack. Really. I have a hard time convincing some people of this because, of course, you can physically read without food in your mouth, but a snack can really enhance your reading experience. I like hot tea and pretzels. Random, but I've found what works for me. A good friend of mine likes to eat according to what she's reading. Like, crumpets for Austen and goldfish for Melville and something strong for Dickens because she swears that's the only way she can suffer through him. Portion control is important if you're an avid reader like I am. I could read for hours, but eating for hours is highly discouraged.
4) You need time. Perhaps the hardest of the necessary items to conjure. I recommend a minimum of thirty minutes. There is no maximum. Preferably this is not multi-tasking time, but time devoted solely to your delicious, fascinating, entrancing book. Yes, yes, those are really random adjectives. Point being is that you make time to delve into another world and maybe get some culture! (Gossip Girl does not count, Jen, my dear.)
*note* This is the ideal, of course, but feel free to read anywhere, anytime. I personally always carry a book or two no matter where I'm going. You never know! Happy reading, loves.
Okay, I'm done.
Much love,
'Quel
No comments:
Post a Comment