Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tilt The Table, Woman!

Tilt table tests, henceforth referred to as TTT's, are an awful experience. I had so many people tell me that they were fine, and that they didn't get the least bit dizzy or sick. Ha! Probably because there was nothing wrong with THEM!

Here's the essentials of what happened.
My mom and I showed up at The Care Group at around 9:45 this morning. After watching a group of woman flounder over pronouncing my name, and filling out the requisite paperwork I was whisked back to the TTT testing room. Mom was told to wait out in the lobby and boy am I glad she did. Mom's are amazing creatures, mine especially, but I don't think they should have to watch their children get painful or disorienting tests.
The nurse was really very nice. She had me lie down on the table, strapped me in like Frankenstein's monster and attached a heart and blood pressure monitor, which proceeded to squeeze my arm sixteen times. I hate blood pressure cuffs. She told me that I would be in a lying down position for five minutes to get a baseline reading and then she would tilt the table so I was in an upright position.
"And then," she announced matter of factly, "we wait forty minutes or until you faint."
Wh-what? No one told me that the purpose of this test was to make me faint.
So after the five minutes she tilted the table....
... and I felt fine. Mentally I was rolling my eyes thinking there was no way this was going to DO anything.
"How you doing, honey?" she asked right away.
"Good. I'm fine."
"Not dizzy or faint?"
"Nope."
"No nausea?"
"Nope. I'm perfectly fine."
Yeah... until exactly one minute later when waves of nausea hit and suddenly a semi was rushing past my ears.
"Um, I feel sorta nauseous."
"Good!" (I kid you not) "Now, if you feel like you need to faint, don't fight it. Do you need to faint?"
"I think I'm going to."
"Well go ahead then."

It might strike you that this is a frickin' wierd conversation. And you would be right.

After nausea came dizzyness. The whole room spun and that's all she wrote.
According to the nurse, first I had a seizure that involved my whole body going rigid and tight, and then I collapsed against the table with a face whiter than the sheet I was lying on. I personally remember little of this. I do remember hearing my name from reeeeeaaaaaally far away and waking up to ask, "Am I okay? Did it work?"
"Honey," she said with a shake of head, "you're positive. I don't know what for, but you're positive."
She also called me a cheap date. *grins* Nurses... gotta love 'em.

And that was my morning. After a loooong time of resting and being informed that I should not be driving in my condition, we hightailed it out of there. My regular doctor is supposed to get back with me about what exactly it is I have (he told me but it's got six really long names) and how we're going to treat it. All I can say is, thank goodness! I'm so tired of headaches and dizzyness and nausea. It'd be nice to get some relief!

In other news, Olivia seems okay. She's been on some minor pain meds and I think she'll be alright.

And also, thank you all for your support, prayers and thoughts. It means a lot, even if I don't always feel that way. Evenutally the sun comes out again!

'Quel

1 comment:

meeka said...

I meant to comment on this a while ago, but it glitched.

"It might strike you that this is a frickin' wierd conversation. And you would be right."

...made me laugh so hard!