Now, if you know me, you know that I brake for EVERY possible animal that may be straying into my path. Even earthworms get gently moved out of the way of my tires when I back down the driveway. No animal is too small or unimportant*.
So with this on my mind I slowly squealed to a stop and flicked off my lights. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust. When they did I was greeted by a cautious doe and her very curious fawn about ten feet to the right of my passenger door. In the dim light of false dawn it was hard to make out coloring but both appeared to be White Tailed Deer with reddish gold coats. Their distinctive black and white tails stood out the most.Neither of them seemed concerned with the big yellow obstacle in their way, although the mother made sure to stay between me and her baby as they crossed the road.
Completely entranced, I turned off my car and all my lights and waited. A few seconds later, with my poor human night vision in gear, I noticed a single doe on the left side of the road. She stared straight at me, took a step towards my car, and then proceeded to eat as if nothing unusual were happening.

It took a few more minutes but soon another doe and fawn pair appeared from out of the trees. They greeted their herd mates and also begin to graze. I don't think the fawns were old enough to eat grass but they were at least pretending to be interested.
I admit that I don't know much about deer herd dynamics but it seemed like the single doe was the one in charge. She moved, and the others responded. Perhaps she was in charge because she didn't have a babe? *note to self* Look up information about white tailed deer.
Being among their little family circle was magical. I wished there was some way to be physically sitting among them, outside my car, just listening to their breathing and munching. But the gift of their presence was pretty special in itself. I could feel myself relaxing, just watching with my nose against the glass like a child. It was wonderful.
I sat like that for several more minutes before they started to drift into the treeline. I wished my car wasn't so loud, because as soon as I started her up, they fled. Well, deer are rather skittish. (and with good reason) I hope I see them again.
'Quel
*I know asteriking things looks bad but I had to put an amendment. I have never and will never like fleas, ticks or mosquitoes. Yes, God created them, but I have very little compassion for them. Luckily they don't seem to care. :p
No comments:
Post a Comment