Monday, May 31, 2010

Musings on Marriage and Relationships

I've been thinking a lot about marriage. I don't know that anything in particular brought it on but it's been a topic of discussion for me quite a bit lately. I have friends who are engaged, friends who are newlyweds, and a dear friend who is going through a divorce. Those things make you consider what you want, or do not want, for yourself.

I wrote a post on marriage about two years ago, when I started my blog. You can read that here if you're interested.

I think my views have changed a little, but only in that they are more specific to my own situation. I also think my thoughts weren't so coherent then. I wrote that post as an afterthought, and in somewhat of a scatterbrained mindset.
I still believe Housholder has given me the best advice about marriage. "Don't listen to advice that starts with 'Marriage is like', but pay attention to advice that starts with 'My marriage is like'."

I have met the man I am going to marry. I used to roll my eyes at people who claimed they just knew, but now I am a skeptic turned believer. I didn't always know. After all, I've known Jake since I was nine, and I wouldn't have give him the time of day then. After all, he was a boy.
Do I know at what point he became the man I adore? The one I would do anything for, in an instant, without a second thought? I don't. He seemed to sweep me off my feet before I even knew what was happening. Right now he is passed out on the bed with a fever while I watch over him and I wouldn't trade where I am for the world.
(Of course, I would trade his fever. I don't like to see him sick!)

Can I tell you about him? Will you indulge me?
Jake is unassuming. I never really understood that word, but now I know it suits him perfectly. His first concern is always others. He is gentle and caring to animals and children, polite and friendly to everyone he meets. He's a hard worker, which has always been extremely important to me. Jake is considerate, and chivalric, both lost arts among men these days.
And he adores me. A girl could get spoiled with a man like mine. He is careful of my needs, unafraid to show me or anyone else that he loves me but also not afraid to tell me off if he thinks I need it.

Sometimes I think that God knew exactly what I needed.
*grins*

Our marriage won't be like anyone else's. We'll learn what works for us, and what we each have to give or take in our lives. We'll base our relationship foremost on our faith because that is what is most important. I know that we'll struggle, and have to stretch and grow as humans, but I also know that I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't speak as a wife yet, but as his girlfriend, I want to help him become the best man he can be. I want to care for him, support him and love him through everything. And I know he feels the same about me.

I'm afraid my thoughts haven't come out much clearer than that little post I wrote a few years ago, but it feels good to write out my thoughts freely like I used to do so often. When I get busy, my blog tends to suffer!

I sent Auggie off today. Mercedes and I decided to lease him to a trusted friend and her daughter. I know we made the right decision for everyone, but I will miss my handsome pony while he's away!

I'm off to bed. G'nite, my friends!

'Quel

No comments: