Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Anais Nin

I like to think I write well; eloquently, and with purpose. Sometimes, however, another author captures my thought with much more intelligence than I could ever. I do not greatly admire Anais Nin but she did write with skill. Here are a few words I wish were mine:

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

"Good things happen to those who hustle."

"If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it."

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect."

"The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery."

"I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live."

"Writers do not live one life, they live two. There is the living and then there is the writing. There is the second tasting, the delayed reaction."

"What can I do with my happiness? How can I keep it, conceal it, bury it where I may never lose it? I want to kneel as it falls over me like rain, gather it up with lace and silk, and press it over myself again."

"Last night I wept. I wept because the process by which I have become woman was painful. I wept because I was no longer a child with a child's blind faith."

"Stories do not end."

— Anaïs Nin

'Quel

No comments: