Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Secret Life

I'm stranded at my fiance's house right now while he and the rest of the family are at their respective jobs. I know that he will be home soon and we will kiss and cuddle and spend some time together before I go to school this evening.
The dogs are outside, although mostly they have been curled up at my feet and hip, snoozing or licking my fingers as I pet them.

I am watching a show called 'The Secret Lives of Women'. I find it fascinating.
Everyone has secrets to keep. Some are little things, some could tear a family apart. Some are words that should be said and others are too painful to realize.

Do you have a secret life? Who would you tell if you had to?

One of the reasons I like to people watch is my overactive imagination. It's easy for me to create lives for the people I see. This man goes home to a houseful of beagles or that woman has a lover she meets every Friday for three hours. But I don't think about the people I do know having secret lives. It's funny, because I think I already know them. Or what I don't know about them isn't sensational or painful or a 'secret life'.

One consistent thing people on this show cite as the reason for keeping their other life a secret is shame. In many cases, they aren't doing anything wrong, but the reactions and judgments of close family and relatives lead them to decide against just being themselves.
And sometimes, there are secrets that should be kept. There are things between a couple, or hurtful truths that don't need to be aired.

But they still fascinate me, wondering about the secrets of people I see and know.

As for my secret life, it's probably not as sensational as whatever you could come up with. *grins*

Quel

No comments: