So... many of you know that I hate titling things. Like, really. All of my stories in fiction writing (all the good titles anyway) were proffered by my roommate, Princess Annaliese.
So I decided that the first thing I looked at upon opening my eyes was going to be the title of my blog post. And of course, sitting not twenty feet away from me is a game I bought on Amazon, mostly for its name. Boxers and Briefs.
So there you have it. I should have let Annaliese title this blog post, too.
Last night was the night for sad movies. First up, The Duchess. It starred the luscious Kiera Knightley in gorgeous period clothing. And it was heart-breakingly sad... I seriously started crying at one point. She plays Duchess Georgiana Devonshire, a beautiful, vivacious English woman who is beloved by all society. She champions freedom for all, political activism and is a devoted mother and friend. Her husband, ironically, is the only person in England who dislikes her and he essentially makes her life a living hell. At one point he even cheats on her with her best friend and forces her to accept his mistress living in the house with them. Then when she finds a man who loves and admires her, her husband sets out to crush her spirit and her will, even threatening to take her children and ruin her lover's life.
Like I said, depressing! Oh, but so well done.
The second movie, which I highly recommend, is The Secret Life of Bees. I read the book first (a duh for me) and was pleasantly surprised that the movie lived up to the original manuscript. A young girl living in the time of Civil Rights Act escapes her abusive father with her african american caretaker to the home of the 'calender sisters'; August, May and June. They are three black women who teach fourteen year old Lily about being a strong woman, and who give her insight on her mother and her past. August teaches her the art of bee keeping, and kindness towards everyone, even if they aren't kind in return. There are some mild curse words so it's probably not a movie for younger children. My ten year old sister watched pieces of it with me.
So that was my evening. Sad movies and several mugs of delicious hot coffee.
And now I'm at Taylor waiting for my adorable but slightly geeky boyfriend to get off work so we can watch Mythbusters in his room.
*yawns*
Au revoir, mon amis!
'Quel
Oh yeah, HAPPY FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH!
No comments:
Post a Comment