Saturday, February 21, 2009

Winter Camping, Ecstasy (!)

I'd love to tell you that we pitched tents in the middle of a snow-blown field, or built primitive shelters with our bare hands, but the truth is I went Girl Scout camping with a half a dozen ten and eleven year olds so our accomadations were closer to a concrete building with heat, running water and cot beds.
Granted, the water did smell like sulfur.
And we were in the middle of nowhere.

Then again, this is Indiana and EVERYwhere is the middle of nowhere!

Yesterday afternoon my mom, two of the girls' mothers and I loaded up our vans and drove seven very excited Juniors to Camp Ada. The theme of our camp was "Spa Night". The adults and I set up relaxing music, several different pampering stations and proceeded to pamper the girls. Truth be told, I actually had a lot of fun. I was in charge of manicures and we did a homemade brown sugar scrub. My favorite part was painting nails! I love making little ladybugs and polka dots and flowers. The rest of the evening was spent in watching a movie and snacking before bed.

We woke up to snow this morning at seven a.m. I would've been perfectly happy to sleep in but YOU try keeping excited fourth graders in bed. Like an old friend used to say, 'May as well herd cats!'

We filled up our time relaxing, doing crafts and playing games.
If only more camping trips were like this. *grins*

Monday morning while I painted the conference room at Chapel Rock, I got a phone call that made me squeal like a little girl. I was almost doing cartwheels through the church office. No joke! My boss from the zoo, Chris, called me! After dispensing with the pleasantries she affectionately demanded to know why I hadn't applied for the job at the zoo and if I still intended to do so. I was surprised.
"But... the job wasn't listed online!" I protested.
She kind of laugh-sighed and told me that Human Resources had only listed the Encounters job on Career Builders and as such they'd been recieveing only crap applications. So of course I told her, as calmly as I could at that point, that I did want to work at the zoo and yes, I could certainly send her my resume and a cover letter as soon as possible.

I AM WORKING AT THE ZOO THIS SUMMER!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*breathes*

'Quel

No comments: