Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Mystery

Did I or didn't I?

Hm.

'You didn't!'

'You did.'

I scowl at the two stuffed animals on my bed. Some help they are. Perky little Kon is shaking his head, his cute little tummy begging to be tickled. He glares like he knows what I'm thinking. He is all of six inches high, a tiny lion with a permanent growl etched on his face, but he is probably the most adorable thing ever.

'I know you.' Kon insists. 'You got up late, threw on your clothes and left without ever opening the bottle.'

But it's a habit, I think. Surely I-

'You did. You always do. Why would today be different?'

I'd be happy for the vote of confidence if it hadn't come in such a dreary voice. Happy, a squished and decidedly melancholy pink pig has never said anything without a touch of resignation.

I flop onto the bed, ignoring Kon's furious squealing and Happy's halfhearted protests as they are dethroned from the pillows, and stare at the bottle of pills. It's not that I can't remember opening the bottle, I just can't remember if I opened it THIS morning.

'Count them, stupid!'

Wh-what? I turned startled eyes to Kon.

He'd be rolling his eyes if he could, I know it. Happy shoots him a baleful look and says, in a kinder tone, 'You had nine pills left yesterday. Remember?'

Oh. Yeah. I remember counting to make sure I had enough to last the week.

'So again... count them stupid.'

I tickle Kon's belly and he retreats under a pile of blankets.

I have eight pills left. It's a good thing someone in this room has a brain. It's just too bad that the ones who do are stuffed.
--------

Once again, dear reader, you are subjected to a poorly written narrative about my life. :p Sorry, sorry, sorry!

'Quel

No comments: