Saturday, December 12, 2009

Gallimaufry

This is the best word I have ever run across, and not only is it awesome, the definition sounds just like what the word should mean -at least to me!

Say it: gal-uh-MAW-free

Means: A hodgepodge; jumble; confused medley.

Doesn't "gallimaufry" just look like a jumble or a confused melody? And to use the word "hodgepodge" to define another word! I love it!

Its History: Gallimaufry, originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," comes from French galimafrée, from Old French, from galer, "to rejoice, to make merry" (source of English gala) + mafrer, "to eat much," from Medieval Dutch maffelen, "to open one's mouth wide."

All this information is from dictionary.com, by the way.

I just had to share my fantastical word with you. It made my day to see this little treasure in my inbox this morning. :-)

Do you realize it's a little less than two weeks until Christmas? Am I the only one who thinks this year has gone by super fast? Perhaps I am. And after all, it did move slowly in some respects. The hours between Stephen and I are the longest ones.
Enough sounding like a melancholy, love-lorn child, however!

I am, now that I am so much closer to my goal, compiling my top ten favourite books of the year and writing reviews of them. I think I'll break the top ten up into a couple different posts for suspense. :p

Today was a good, relaxing day. I helped my good friend Jake shop for clothes, and I ate at Panera Bread, which rarely happens, and I was uber satisfied. They have some of the best macaroni and cheese ever. Not to mention their baguettes. Yum! Then my dad and I spent some quality time together working on a surprise. ;-) Finally, Jackie and Hannah came over to just chill for awhile.

Tomorrow I'm in Upland to visit Annaliese and say "See you later till January" to her (I will not say good-bye to my princess, I WILL NOT). I plan to clean out my car first. Kind of like working in a clean room, I can't drive as well in a dirty car. I have CD's and such for the drive and I'm content to have some time alone to think. Even though I've become more social in the last couple months, I still enjoy, even crave, time to think without any interruptions.

But I've rambled enough, I think. I hope you all are enjoying preparations for the Christmas season.

'Quel

No comments: