Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

Those last couple of days certainly did speed by quickly. It was so filled with friends, family and preparing for the holiday that before I knew what was happening, I was up at 6:15 this morning, giggling and talking with my siblings while we waited for seven to come so we could wake up my parents. (and if that's not a run on sentence, what is?!)

I think I discovered something about the holiday season. It can be enjoyable! I can actually be a cheerful, happy person around this time if I embrace the spirit of the time. I don't have to dread and diss Christmas like I used to. I mean, I still think that all the materialism and such is missing the point, and advertising at this time makes me sick (plus I will never like Christmas carols before December) but the simples pleasures of family dinners, puzzles and games, talking and sharing jokes is lovely. Thanksgiving will remain my favorite holiday but I can manage Christmas once a year. ;-)

This was definitely a Christmas for giving. Everyone gave and recieved some incredibly thoughtful gifts. The funniest story of this morning was between my brother and I. As we passed out gifts we realized that our gifts to each other were the same size. We sort of laughed and said, Wouldn't it be funny if we got each other the same thing? But I thought, surely not. Because, you see, I had bought Danny's gift in October and it was a case of special Jones Soda (our favorite drink) with his picture on it and a message from me. But just in case we opened them at the same time and... lo and behold he'd gotten me a case of Jones Soda with MY picture on it! *grins* Great minds and all that.

Some of my favorite gifts from my parents were a handful of awesome books I'd asked for, the third season of The Tudors (yay, and totally unexpected), some very sweet, flowery journals and two pairs of cozy socks. Aside from Danny's Jones Soda, my siblings contributed a painting and a coloring book. My grandparents gave me clothes and a much longed for/needed sewing kit of my own. Hallelujah!
Stephen's gift was very thoughtful. He got me a subscription to Psychology Today, my favorite magazine. :-)

Even Bunny was remembered by Santa, aka Grandma. This season's hottest and most sought after toy, the Zhu Zhu pet, was purchased for my cat who loves to chase it around the floor. But her favorite is a two foot long crinkle tube that she runs through constantly. She is truly fierce. Or so she thinks.

As for my other animals, Izzy got catnip and cuddles (which he pretended to protest), Auggie got a specially made snack with all kinds of goodies mixed in and the rats got many new chewy toys plus some fabric for their beds.

Right now I'm curled under my covers with my fluffy kitten playing on the floor and the humidifier humming in my ears. My family is just beginning to think about leaving, and we have spent the evening just hanging out and enjoying each other's company. I would call this a perfectly lovely day.

Merry Christmas!

'Quel

Oh, and here's an update for young on my OHBAY challenge. I only have two more books to read in a little under a week! I know I can do it, especially considering that I recieved three books for Christmas and a gift certificate to Half Price Books. :-) I've already begun compiling my list of favorites to review and post for you. It's been hard! I've read a great deal of fantastic books this year. Also some not so good ones, but more on that later. Nite all!

No comments: