Tuesday, December 23, 2008

L'esprit d'escalier

I have no desire to learn French.
I've taken three years and three semesters of Spanish and can barely speak it.
But sometimes English just doesn't cut it, my friends. For instance, in the Inuit language there are more than twenty words for snow. There are words for powdery snow that doesn't stick but slices through the air like razors, and snow that comes down in slow, fat flakes that seem to defy gravity. In english we have... wait for it... snow. Which, incidentally, is another word for cocaine. Aren't we versatile?

Anyway. In French there is a word for "I should've said... but didn't."

L'esprit d'escalier. Literally translated it means stairway wit.
The Wiki says, 'It is a French term used in English that describes the predicament of thinking of the right comeback too late. The phrase can be used to describe a riposte to an insult, or any witty, clever remark that comes to mind too late to be useful—when one is on the "staircase" leaving the scene.'

Story of my life.

I'm actually pretty quick on the uptake. In fact, my tongue often moves a little too fast and I'm more often than not trying to talk my way out of trouble. But there are times when someone says something so asinine or ridiculous that I'm stumped. I can only stand there wishing I had a ready comeback.
And of course it comes to me five minutes after the fact. Or that night in bed. Or a week later in class.

So although French ain't my thing, I have to appreciate the phrase.

On another note, equally as random... you should know its truly the little things in life that make us happy. :-P

I was mildly put out (such an interesting phrase, don't you think?) because my package from Vicky's had not come in yet so I decided to get online and track my order. Imagine my dismay when I realized that according to UPS, my package had been delivered on the nineteenth! Of course I was in Florida then, but Hannah had collected our mail and although we did have a couple packages none of them were addressed to me. So I went outside a couple minutes ago to look. Nothing.
Naturally I went upstairs to complain to my mother. She suggested I look once more, and then call the distributor to find out what the heck happened.
I looked once more, and then went back to the page about shipping confirmation. There, next to the date, was a little blue link that read 'proof of delivery'. I clicked on it and in big bold letters it said 'Package Delivered Under Mat'.

First thought, Are you SERIOUS?! Who hides packages under a mat?
Second thought, It's really, really cold outside.

And yes, my package was there, tucked underneath our blue welcome mat, half frozen to the ground and almost impossible to see if you weren't looking for it.
All I can say is, it's a good thing I read THE FINE PRINT.

*shakes head* Silly UPS man.
(I'm assuming gender, of course.)

But naturally I'm really happy with my items.

Alright, I've rambled enough for two posts tonite. ;-) I'm off to bed.

Much love,

'Quel

*pst* This is my eightieth post

No comments: