Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Only at Taylor

Preface: My good friend Laura asked a guy on our first pick-a-date months ago and he had to decline because someone else had asked first. He jokingly said, “You have to be quick to go out with me!” So way back in September she thought of a super creative way to ask him on the Christmas Pick-A-Date, only to start dating someone else a few weeks after the guy said yes. We talked briefly about her dilemma a couple weeks ago (whether she should take the original guy she asked, or go with her boyfriend) and I never heard the conclusion until yesterday.
Also, an explanation of 'what the heck is a pick-a-date' for my non-Taylor affiliated followers is located at the end of this post.

Story continues.

I got off work yesterday around 3:30ish and began the long, treacherous and freezing walk back to Berg-into the wind. I nearly killed myself twice with having to avoid black ice and stupid drivers. I stumbled into our dorm, checked my mail and then noticed that Laura was working front desk. Since I wasn’t really in the mood (am I ever?!) to go upstairs and start homework right away, I pulled up a chair across from the guy she was talking to and joined their conversation.
As a slight side note that is sort of related, college students can talk about anything with students they don’t even know. At least, most of the students I know will. They'll talk about everything from that day’s class discussion to birth control, from the benefits of Taco Bell versus Burger King to why arranged marriages should SO be an option in Western culture. Yep, everything.

I don’t even know how it came up precisely but suddenly I was reminded of our pick-a-date on Saturday and I asked Laura if she’d resolved the issue of boyfriend or friend. To which she replied that she was going with her boyfriend.

“Well, that’s probably a good idea. But it’s too bad for that guy who you were going with. Who was it?”

She pointed at the guy sitting at the counter with us as he raised his hand while pretending to tear up.

Keeping in mind that I still don’t know this boy’s name I said, “Aw. Poor baby. Are you still going?”

He kind of shrugged and replied, “Dunno. No one’s asked.”

“So go with me.” I said.

He grinned. “Okay.”

“No, seriously. D’you want to go with me?”

“Seriously, yes.”

“Okay, cool. I’m Raquel, by the way.”

“Andrew. Nice to meet you.”

I’m paraphrasing slightly. I’m not the best at remembering exact words unless they strike me in some way.
But isn’t that mildly hilarious? I mean, I asked a guy out on a date who’s name I didn’t even know!

I still don’t know much about him except that every time I tell someone who I’m going with they’re like, “Oh, you’ll have a lot of fun. Felge is awesome.”
(Felge is his nickname. The guys on first and second are into naming all the new freshman, so no one actually goes by their given name)
It’s even more fun because it’s semi formal so girls in dresses and guys in suits, and what a crazy way to get to know someone! *grins*
Yeah, I’m excited.

Also, it’ll be my last pick-a-date.

Much love,

‘Quel

*A pick-a-date is basically a group date that's supposed to be super laid back and no pressure. It's a good way to hang out with someone of the opposite gender without there being the awkwardness of taking things too seriously. The pick-a-date is arranged by your floor or wing. Usually they're something like ice skating, bowling, scavenger hunts or silly dress up dinners. Twice a year there are "formal" dates, too. You just ask a good guy friend to be your date. And guy's floors host pick-a-dates, too. I've been asked twice.
Of course pick-a-dates are often called pick-a-mate's, and they CAN lead to more serious things but that's not why I particpate. I happen to like hanging out with guys. ;-)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hope you have a BLAST!
I'm sure you'll look SMOKIN HOT.
I mean, ya gotta leave Taylor with a bang, right?
wow that sounded weird.
Anyways...