Monday, December 1, 2008

Welcome to Dead Week

I almost titled this post 'Welcome to Hell' but I thought that was being a tad dramatic. I'll save that for when I discuss how freezing cold it is outside and tie it into Dante's ninth circle.

"Teachers decide they want to quickly kill off the students so they pile up as much homework as the can to see who will survive. Then they top it all off with finals week as the final test of a students endurance."

One smart girl, that Emily Bennett. That was her response to my outrage at being assigned yet another sheet of eighty sentences to write in Spanish today.
That brings the grand total of homework this week to four projects (including an immense translation project for Spanish which we just found out about), eighty sentences for Spanish, two quizzes, two tests and a TON of reading. And you'll excuse me if I skimp a little on the reading. I mean, we've got a week left! What's the reading for?

Want to know my observation? Of course you do. ;-)
With a few notable exceptions (read: favorite professors) profs seem to forget that we're taking more than one class during Dead Week. While most of them restrain themselves during the semester they just can't seem to help themselves during Dead Week. It's like they have to get that one little assignment in that adds up to a ton of work and bleary eyed, unprepared college students.

Curses!

On a happier note ( a pleasant Mozart sonata, perhaps?) the weather is lovely. Now, you may disagree. And you're entitled to, of course, but I happen to love the snow. It's the wind that makes me want to cry. Er, actually, it frequently does make me cry by ripping tears from my eyes as I walk back to Berg with one friend or another. (Random aside: How come boys' eyes don't seem to tear up? Seriously!)
Hm. But I've always been wierd about weather. I love huge crashing thunderstorms that make me think of tornadoes, and violent snow storms that blot out the world. It's like an element of danger in an otherwise predictable chain of events. And by predictable, I mean rainy or windy. 'Cause it's always one or the other in Indiana.

Some other happy things:
-I've been writing and I like what I've written.
-It was awesome to see my well rested and much cheerier roomates last night!
-I love, love, love my camera (redundant, but what the hey!)
-Jen and I talked forever last night, and we have plans to watch our favorite kind of movie tomorrow night.

And on those happy notes I'm off to watch a documentary on National Geographic photographers as I clean off my desk and unpack. Stay warm!

Much love,

'Quel

P.S. I almost forgot...
It's DECEMBER!

No comments: