Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
And the awesome usage of 'hath' aside, this is just not true. If a woman is scorned, sure she might try and get back at him... but privately. Women have their pride you know. Fury implies wild action.. you can't hide fury.
So I was trying to decide how to change that statement to more accurately describe myself. (Because there's no way I speak for all women... not gonna happen)
So here's what I came up with.
And of course the mama bear image should pop into your head. A woman defending-her family, her friends, her children, her cause-is a woman unleashed.
I was reminded of this while reading an article about dogs abandoned because they're "too much" for their owners to handle. What usually happens is this: Mom and Dad and Suzie and Billy decide they want a puppy. They buy a cute little puppy from the pet store and bring it home. All is well until the family realizes that little Spot is a LOT of work. Pretty soon sweet little Suzie is tired of playing with the pooch, angelic young Billy thinks picking up dog poop is unfun, Dad is exasperated at finding pee everywhere and having his expensive italian shoes torn up (interestingly enough I never met a dog who ate shoes until my dad bought his boston bull, but that's another story) and Mom discovers she's doing all the work. So cute, adorable little Spot is sent to the pound while the parents comfort themselves that he'll get adopted soon. But with no marketable skills (not housebroken and with bad behaviours reinforced) Spot is more likely slated to be put down.
PHEW. Okay, you see my point. Treating animals badly is one thing that raises my protective armor and puts me on edge. Blood boiling, literally.
Not that men can't feel this way. I have no doubt that they have very strong offensive and defensive emotions... but I can't speak for them, either.
Also true of the opposite sex, but one that bears mentioning. No one likes to be questioned. Especially not on things they consider to be core values in their life. I think it's important to discuss why you believe things, and to be open to what other people have to say, but some things I just can't discuss intelligently because they make me angry.
This was brought on by an article sent to me by a Southern Baptist friend whose parents would like to disown her because she's not wedded and bedded with six children. They've refrained because, wouldn't you know it, disowning your children is not in line with their creed.
Anywho. The article, and I quote, said the following.
'It's not about identity. It's about obedience... If we're not specially gifted to be celibate, we're called to marriage. There's no third option; no lifestyle choice to remain single... For women, that means remaining open to the possibility, praying boldly for the opportunity and living intentionally so as not to undermine your prospects"
UNDERMINE MY PROSPECTS! WHAT THE?!
and this little zinger, too.
'When we marry and choose not to have children, we violate our very design and disobey our God.'
If you want to read the article in it's entirety, I'm posting the link at the end of this post.
Caveats aside, this is nuts. I am not going to spend time intentionally thinking about marriage and trying to hook a man. While I don't necessarily feel called to be single (being married would be okay) I don't feel called to search out a godly man to marry right now. My life is not the limbo between singleness and marriage. In fact, it's not about that at all! My life right now is about my education, and my family and being where I'm supposed to be! Especially since the focal point of this article was about how women are waiting too long to get married! I'd like to wait, personally, until I feel like I'm completely ready to commit to marriage and another person.
And since you all know how I feel about children-or most of you do anyway-it'll come as no surprise that I plan to postpone having children as long as possible. To sum it up, my friend Chris said this, "I'd like children if they weren't... children."
By the way, thanks a ton for sending me that article, Mary. :-P
http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001145.cfm
Oh yes, and I'm 21, today. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment