Tuesday, November 4, 2008

'Tis The Season

If I don't blog then I don't have the energy to recall all that's happened since I last wrote.

To condense the past weekend succintly I offer the following.
It was good. ;-)

Highlights include an amazing dinner made by my father and my roomate Annaliese, an encouraging training session with Auggie, time spent with Hannah and Jack and Tim's visit.

And now, predictably, it is Tuesday night and faithful college students everywhere are entrenched in homework of all sorts; projects, papers and reading until their eyeballs roll out of their head. I myself am working on ignoring a chapter over psycho-somatic disorders and am succeeding quite well.
In all seriousness school is not going badly. I'm just in the 'over it' stage right now so I'm having to work that much harder to get anything done. I'm also getting curious about the outcome of my submission to Parnassus. I hope that if I do not get in, I won't get the news on my birthday!

Today was the busiest Tuesday of my semester. It was quite odd how so many things needed to get done and all today! I worked extra hours because one of the professors had a project for me to finish, plus I had lunch with a friend from Ireland and there were fifty odd small errands that I had to run. And now, much to my roomates' dismay, I do not have the energy to clean up the clothes and cosmetics and books and papers strewn across the futon and around my bed. No, that is a project for another day and a little more rest.

The topic today is Christmas Songs.
I've always considered myself to be somewhat of a Scrooge. Although if I had his money you know I wouldn't be hoarding it. *ahem* Christmas is my almost least favorite holiday. I prefer Thanksgiving which has all the food, family and relaxation of Christmas without the blatant materialism and misconstrued values. Thanksgiving is awesome.
But I do recognize that I'm biased so I grit my teeth and put up with people who love Christmas because they just can't help themselves.
The sad thing is, I'm forced to grit my teeth earlier and earlier each year. Why is this? Because Christmas comes earlier every year. No, to be precise, Christmas songs come earlier each year. I was in CVS the other day and as I browsed the aisles looking for Zicam (awesome stuff that makes your cold dissapear) I suddenly heard the loud and incessant strains of 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer'. No exaggeration when I say I stopped in my tracks. Schooling my face to resemble something close to pleasantness I wandered over to the cashier.
Our encounter went something like this:

"Ready to check out?" says the inevitably perky cashier woman.

"I might be mistaken *polite laugh* but is that Christmas music playing?"

"Oh. Yes!" She gives me a conspiratorial look. "Don't you love the Christmas season?"

"Ha ha ha. Didn't we forget Thanksgiving, though?"

A blank stare is bestowed on me, as if she's suddenly realized my questions are not to be considered a compliment of Christmas music. I pay for my things and slink out the door, while she no doubt calls the Christmas police to kidnap me and force me to listen to 'Jingle Bells' until my eyes pop out of my head and my brain turns to mush. Oh wait.... if I go to any store within a bajillion mile radius of the North Pole that very thing will happen to me!

So my comment, no, my plea, is that we not forget that Thanksgiving has its merits as well.
And for heaven's sake don't play Christmas music until your Halloween decorations are down.

Much love,

'Quel

No comments: