Friday, November 7, 2008

Nostalgia's Curse

It suddenly feels so FINAL. My leaving Taylor University, I mean. I went to inform Lori Slater, director of student housing, that I will not be returning in the spring. And I started thinking about who is going to have my bed, my desk and my closet next year. I hope for my roomate's sake that she is easy to live with.

On to the point.
Although it's a tad early to be feeling nostalgic about Taylor (things like exams and a failing grade in Spanish tend to haul you back to earth) there are definitely things I'm going to miss. And while I'm much more adept at making a list of things that annoys me about this school, I'd thought I'd attempt a list of that which I'll lament losing. To be fair, I'm not going to list people although some of these things will be connected to certain individuals. And to keep myself from going overboard I'm going to limit my list to seven.

-I'll miss walking back from Spanish with Andrew Lehr and walking back from Psych with Dan Piva. Although our friendship, in both situations, are pretty much limited to those couple conversations a week I'll miss them. Andrew and I mostly talk music and weekend plans, while Dan and I talk Psych.

-I'll miss Taylor Theatre and music events. Sure, I can come back and see plays and attend events that my dear princess is in but it won't be the same as being within walking distance of the chapel.

-I'll miss having the room to myself. Now, for instance, my roomates are at work or in class and I can play my music loudly, clean or not as I choose and work on homework without being interrupted. At home, it's easier to get distracted.

-With the above said I'm also going to miss having roomates. It's nice to come back from a hard day and realize that your roomates are there for you.

-The classes I have yet to take. Christian Marriage, Advanced Writer's Workshop and Motivation to name a few. They sound SO interesting.... I don't know what I'm going to find to match those!

-Working in the Education Department. While this probably belongs on both the 'miss' and 'won't miss' lists, the pull is a little stronger to include it here. While the pay is not great and the hours are worse, I enjoy working there. The teachers are mostly awesome and sometimes I get paid to do homework or read books. So, it's a good job.

-I'll miss living at a school with so many people my age and all the interactions and events that stem from that. It's going to be wierd and hard not to be able to run down the stairs and chat with whoever's in the lounge or working the front desk. At time all this human interaction makes me crazy but I know it'll be missed.

Maybe next time I'll make a list of what I'm looking forward to. Until then.

Much love,

'Quel

No comments: