James Michener
So true.
The problem isn't (often) coming up with ideas. It's producing the courage to let my words march across a virgin page. After all, as my muse insists quite often, it's impossible to edit what isn't there.
I've often pondered the writing process, and the way in which my words spill out onto paper. I know that every writer is different. Talk about something it's impossible to make comparisons in! Some people write better in the morning, some at night. I personally write better when I should be doing something else.
Most often my own writing process goes something like this. I'm sitting in class when a thought strikes me. Probably I've wandered from the professor's lecture into daydream land (actually mom and dad, I pay attention in class all the time. Really) and my musings are starting to take the shape of a story idea.
As any writer will tell you, once you have story thought it has to be written down now or you lose it. Which is why I always carry scraps of paper. And by always I mean most of the time. Sometimes I have to text ideas to myself.
Then I fidget and squirm until I have the chance to lay out on my bed, or plop down on the floor or sit indian style on the futon to pound out the skeleton of a story. Sometimes I'm super distractable... I'll write a few lines and then wander the hallways, or take a shower or read. Sometimes I go into a writing stupor where I can't be bothered for anything.
And I don't really need a computer, although that does make the writing go faster. I have pages and pages of half-stories and ramblings in a variety of notebooks.
And let's not get started on the word 'writer' or 'author'. (by which I mean, let's do) I feel like a fraud when I say I'm a writer. I mean, I don't get paid... so I can't be a real writer, right?
I'm being distracted so I'm going to close this post here, with this bit of nonsense.
The only cure for writer's block is insomnia.
Merit Antares
To which I say, it's a good thing I have that in plenty. ;-)

'The Winter Rose'
Much love, (and luck in all endeavors)
'Quel
No comments:
Post a Comment