Sunday, November 23, 2008

'The Taming of the Shrew'

I must've been ridiculously exhausted last night because I not only slept through my alarm and a phone call, I slept until nearly eleven.
And when I say 'slept' I mean I was under so deep that I don't even think I dreamt.
It was lovely.
Being an insomniac means I don't see many restful nights. But last night. Wow. I'm content.
:-)

Today was a fairly typical Saturday.
Aside from sleeping late I did laundry and took a shower. I went to lunch (dissapointing meal) and watched some mindless television. By which I mean I had mindless television on while I read 'The Sin Eater'.

Jen and I had made plans to go out but around six thirty I decided I really want to see Taylor's production of Shakespeare's 'The Taming of The Shrew'. And since Hannah's visiting tomorrow during the final performance, I realized I needed to go tonite. So I tagged along with two of the girls on our floor and I'm really glad I went.

Having only a mediocre production of 'Romeo and Juliet' to go off of, I wasn't prepared to like this play. I was never forced to read Shakespeare like many of my peers, but I did read a couple of his works for personal pleasure years ago. 'A Midsummer's Night Dream' and 'Othello' were and are some of my favorites. (I distinctly remember my father ruining the end of Othello for me) I bypassed Macbeth. *shudders*
And even though I enjoy some of what he's written, I recognize that his humour is not of this decade, and that it's easy to get bogged down in wording.
But man, watching Shakespeare acted is a whole 'nother thing than simply reading it. The guy who played Petruchio was a-MAZE-ing and so talented.
I think we forget that Shakespeare wrote plays and that's the best medium in which to appreciate his work.

Quick plot review for those of you who don't know the story.
A man named Baptista has two daughters, the beautiful Bianca and the shrewish Katharine. He has made a rule that Bianca cannot marry until Kate gets a husband. Enter Luciento, who is madly in love with Bianca. He and several other suitors pledge to find a man to woo sharp tongued Kate so that her younger sister is available for marriage. The man they find is Petruchio who begins his courtship of the older sister with a vengeance. He ends up 'taming' her so that she is more obedient and attentive than her sister.
Really good stuff. Lots of funny lines and physical humour.
And a ton of kissing (!).

It may come as a surprise to some of you that I enjoyed a movie about taming women. But it's a comedy and I can appreciate that. I laughed so hard. I don't think everyone got it, but man I loved it.
I'm really looking forward to the next play. Apparently we're doing 'The Crucible'.

*sigh* Yeah, I was planning on auditioning for that one.
Regardless, I'll be coming back to see it! What a great story.

Alright, I'm off to bed. I need to get up early and fill out some applications.

Much love,

'Quel

No comments: